Wednesday 26 September 2007

Gaming History Interview 2007

This is an interview of my gaming history and habits. It was conducted by Shaun on 26 September 2007.

Q1. What first drew you into gaming?

A1. I was given an Aquarius computer when I was young. Started playing the one game I had for it. It came with a book which contained the source code for other simple games. I used to spend time writing the code into the computer using basic so that I could actually play them. Later I got; Spectrum 48k, Amstrad CPC 464, MegaDrive, SNES, Dreamcast and Playstation 2. I also have a PC as well. Used to spend a lot of time playing the games machines often out of boredom as there wasn't much else to do and my love of gaming continued from there.

Q2. What elements of the games you currently play do you find the most engaging?

A2. I like RPG's mainly because they usually have well thought out stories and more choice / options during gameplay. I like games that allow choice and also make you think about what you are doing. On the other hand, I also like beat-em-up games that you can quickly pick up and play with your friends socially.

Pics: Temple of Elemental Evil RPG game

Q3. Briefly what would be your 'ideal' game?

A3. My ideal game would be a mix between an RPG style game (in depth story, lots of choice, freedom to explore environment) and an action/adventure game (action elements like the combat). Basically, an RPG but with out turn-based style combat, more action orientated (similar to the way combat is handled in Star Ocean 3: Till the End of Time)

Star Ocean 3: combat system
(real time action, not turn based)

Q4. How long roughly, do you spend gaming per week?

A4. I roughly spend about 5 - 10 hours playing games per week. I used to spend approx 30 hours a week, but now I spend a lot of time programming games or concentrating on learning new programming skills to use in games.

Q5. How does this break down, alone, with friends (physically present), networked, clubs etc.?

A5. Most of my game playing is played alone as I mostly play RPG's which are usually 1 player games. I do also play Guild Wars, an online game, which allows me to play socially with other players from around the world.

Guild Wars: playing an RPG socially
with others around the world

Q6. How does gaming fit with your other social / domestic arrangements?

A6. Generally my gaming fits in quite well around my other commitments / arrangements although sometimes I will put off for a while thing while I'm programming/gaming. ie.: leaving putting the washing for an hour rather than straight away.

Q7. What sort of collections of games / consoles do you have, where are they situated in the house?

A7. In the bedroom I have; Amstrad CPC464, Dreamcast and a PC. In the front room I have another PC and Playstation 2 (which has it's own dedicated TV).

1 comment:

  1. Nice interview post with pictures, but everything else seems to be "coming soon"

    ReplyDelete